Are you a runner?
Are you interested in getting into running shape?
Are you contemplating signing up for a race?
My Running Story
I finished my first half marathon in March 2009. This was the first time I really learned to LOVE running. I ran track in high school but I felt no ties to it. The only time I really liked to run was with my dad in the mornings, although I didn’t like the time we would go (hello! 5am!?!?!)
Since then I have done 3 more and continue to set my sights on new races and new goals.
The things I love about running:
- The community involved. If you’re a runner and you talk to another runner there is an underlying respect that you immediately have for one another.
- The Runner’s High. Although I haven’t experienced it all that often, I do love the feeling I have after a run. The feeling of accomplishment and pride (even if it’s only 2 or 3 miles).
- The Clothes. I love to buy exercise clothes! Exercise clothes are to me what jewelry is to most girls 🙂
So if you’re a runner, thinking about running, here’s some of my favorite stuff related to this crazy sport.
- Runner’s World – I get the magazine, but the site is great for daily use
- Cool Running – got my first training plan from here, you can also find local races to sign up for
- Hal Hidon’s Website – I love the training plans.
- Marathon Woman by Kathrine Switzer – most motivation book I’ve ever read. If you need something to get you out the door for your next run, try this out!
- Marathon by Hal Higdon – pretty much what the race is all about, what to expect during training and the race, and a few training plans. Get this book if you ever decide to train for a half or whole marathon!
- Runner’s World Magazine – seeing it in the mail makes me want to lace up my sneakers and hit the pavement.
- The Stick and a Foam Roller: great for soothing sore muscles
- Nike+ Sportband – a way to keep track of your mileage without spending a fortune
- Mizuno Wave Inspire – my favorite running shoes. Get fit for your own at your local running store!
Races I’ve Loved:
- Pittsburgh Marathon and Half Marathon – I may be partial because I am from Pittsburgh, but I seriously believe this is one of the best run races out there. I ran it in May this year in the pouring down rain and still loved every single minute
- THON 5k – As a Penn Stater, the THON 5K symbolizes the heart of PSU. FTK (for more information about THON click here)
So keep on running and I’ll see you at the finish line! 🙂