Most of the trees in my apartment complex have been looking like this. Green with some spots of yellow.
Then their tops start to turn a nice burnt orange-red color. But what I wasn’t prepared for was this:
Full on FIRE RED! I think they did this while I was stuck in the apartment sick. But I have to say they are absolutely beautiful and I love it 🙂
While the trees look like fall, the weather has not felt like fall this weekend (not that I’m complaining…we can hold off winter for awhile longer, I’m still recovering from last year). Yesterday we hit about 75 degrees! I went for a run in the evening yesterday and completely enjoyed the warmth. It felt wonderful 🙂
- Mile 1: 8:51 pace
- Mile 2: 8:52 pace
- Mile 3: 7:36 pace
Total: 3.02 miles @ 8:45 pace average — about 25 minutes :)
Not bad for just recovering!
What I’ve Learning: Being this far away from home and starting brand new in a new place is awfully daunting. Not running regularly definitely brings me down even more. I feel like I can handle this new experience when I’m running and doing other things that I love (ie volunteering for GOTR, or teaching fitness classes, and being with friends) Running makes me feel capable.
What does running do for you?
This morning, I started my day off cleaning my apartment, I mean really cleaning it! My hands smell like bleach now, but my apartment looks great :) A Berry Good Green Monster helped to fuel this cleaning frenzy:
Berry Good Green Monster:
- 1 banana
- handful of frozen spinach
- frozen blueberries
- frozen sliced strawberries (easier for the blender to handle)
- 1 Tbsp flax seed
- vanilla almond milk
- Green Superfood Wheatgrass (optional)
Place all your ingredients into the blender…I recommend all the fruits first (breaking up the banana) then the milk, then the flax seed and the wheatgrass.
Blend, Blend BABY
When you add blueberries, you’re going to end up with a weird colored green monster (not so green) But I love blueberries 🙂
Charlie loves to watch his pumpkin and all the leaves blowing around. I’ve learned that when there is wind, he starts running around the apartment and pouncing because he wants to pounce on the leaves. I don’t know how he’d react to being outside (he’s an indoor cat), but I’d love to give him the opportunity to play with the leaves.
Now, you’re probably waiting for the title to come into play here right? Fall comfort? Nothing is comforting about this post so far…well here you go! As you may have noticed I have a slight obsession with pumpkin. But, in the fall, pumpkin does make some pretty yummy foods!
Note: these are not vegan or cut down in fat in anyway. These are the real deal made with eggs and butter and crisco and lots and lots of love. Just thought you should be warned 🙂
Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman – one of my new favs
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 stick of butter at room temp
- 1/2 stick of butter flavored crisco
- 1-1/4 cup Brown Sugar – packed
- 1 whole Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- handful of chopped walnuts
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 13×9 baking pan with foil (for easy cutting and cleanup). In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
2) In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla, and then mix in the pumpkin.
4) Add the dry ingredients, mixing until well-combined. Stir in the chips and nuts. ( I think pecans would also taste great, but I love walnuts)
5) Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let cool completely before cutting.
Lift the foil from the pan and unwrap your blondies. Use a big sharp knife to cut them into the size you want.
Line a pan (can be the same pan) with wax paper and store them.
Yum Yum Yum!
Now for the clean up:
Fold up foil and pitch (the Reynolds Wrap ladies were right!)
Post coming later today….My fall workout challenge!